Thursday, August 23, 2012

Will the real Travis Maddox please stand up...


The Original Bad Boy: The Real Travis Maddox

Jamie McGuire
So many of my readers have asked if Travis Maddox is based on a real person. Could a womanizing, foul-mouthed charmer that you can’t help but love be out there somewhere? The short answer: Yes, yes he is. 

My senior year of high school, I was thrilled to learn I had been accepted to an Oklahoma university far enough away not to feel like high school again, and close enough that I could take my laundry home to Mom when playing grown up got old.

I made friends right away, but one day, as I did sometimes, I felt like sitting at the lunch table alone. Wait. So your university really did have a dinky cafeteria where most of you had the same lunch time? Yes, really. On this particular day, sitting alone would garner the attention of our university’s version of the Walking One Night Stand. My very own Travis Maddox. That wasn’t his name, of course, but the cafeteria introduction of Travis and Abby compared to my experience was nearly verbatim.

“Travis” and I became fast friends, and although an obvious attraction existed, for whatever reason I was the one girl he didn’t immediately try to sleep with. We studied together. We made plans for the weekends. No one could figure us out, and just like Abby, I found myself fielding questions about our relationship daily.

On my 19thbirthday, my friends on the football team—including a Shepley and Brazeal—gathered to celebrate at Brazeal’s apartment. Although much fictional flair was added to that scene in the book, there were several parallels.

“Travis” was more a lover than a fighter, but he was just as devastatingly handsome, and charismatic. My best friend on campus, Robin, swore that the snag in my quest to rise above the friend zone was that “Travis” respected me, and truly cared about me, but just wasn’t ready at that stage in his life to find The One. I transferred schools before I had a chance to find out, and we lost touch.

Ironically, 12 years later, in my second year of Radiography school, I was waiting for a patient to dress after an exam in the hospital hallway. A man turned the corner, down the very hallway where I stood, and the second our eyes made contact, I knew. “Travis” stared back at me. His eyes lit up with recognition. “We know each other, don’t we. Yeah, we used to be buddies.”

I smiled as I was apprised of the highlights of his life since the time when we were important to each other. He was married, and his wife was four months pregnant. We congratulated each other on the paths our lives had taken, and he made a reference to what a great time in his life it was, those months we spent together. My heart ached when he walked away. Beautiful Disaster had been finished almost a year to the day.

49 comments:

  1. Aw how awesomely sweet!!!!! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg Jamie what an amazing story ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Jamie....!!
    Thanks for share the Story with us, that's amazing and this makes me love more Beautiful Disaster and the love story of Trav and Abby...!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing story , I wonder if his wife has read Beautiful & Walking Disaster x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This just makes the story even more real for us. Thank you for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. art imitates life once again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing this with us Jamie <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing my blog Jamie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! That is amazing and kind of romantic, in a nostalgic "one that got away" feeling. Does he know that you are an author and that he inspired Beautiful Disaster?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. *Sigh* I'm still in love with him. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Delightful story...thanx for sharing... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Why did this hurt ??T____T Achingly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I almost cry when i read he was married... But still a beautiful story

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this. Thanks so much for sharing. Makes me love the story even more...and I'm not even sure how that's possible at this point :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've read this before and had forgotten about it. Still makes me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my god!! It's a beautiful story part of your life.:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is a bitter sweet story!! I am now more in love with the book more than ever.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this!!!!! Thank you so much for sharing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, wow. This is amazing story. I really really like the books and I dream to meet soon my version of Travis because I feel so alone and empty and only the books make me happy. When I read story about Abby and Travis I was in euphoria. This is one incredible story and I'm glad that you share it with us. Love you and I can't wait to read "Beautiful Oblivion".

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, great story! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awwww that´s amazing!!! i was always wondering that... and it´s great that you have the chance to see each other, no matter what and know, that you guys make a nice memories together and also created a precious story from friendship and happiness :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. amazing story thanks for sharing with us!! I love Travis Maddox

    ReplyDelete
  23. this is one of the reasons why you are my favorite author :")

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, Jamie <3 I love you, you're one of my favorites! Thank you so much for bringing Beautiful Disaster to life

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh this is so sweet, my heart has just melted!

    ReplyDelete
  26. ay pero que hermoso que padre tener una aventura literaria

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh dios! La historia adquiere un nuevo significado para mi (ojos llorosos).
    Me encanta.
    Gracias por compartirla con nosotros.
    Simplemente... Hermoso!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That's insane! Thank you for sharing that tidbit of information and thank you for writing the novel!! Always great to hear the true inspiration for something.

    ReplyDelete
  29. OMG! That's amazing! I just can't belive it. It's a real love story :3 ¡I love you ''Travis''! :')

    ReplyDelete
  30. Awww idk but this brought tears to my eyes...what a beautiful story!BTW you are so gorgeous Jamie so its not surprising that someone like "Travis" liked you back then����

    ReplyDelete
  31. Loved asking the question in San Rafael. Thank you for sharing more of the story. It was beautiful and it made me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Omg! this is so sweet!, reading this story makes me fall in love by "Travis", thank you Jamie McGuire for writing this beautiful story :D

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow...just wow!! This was so awesome and such an amazing story. This is by far one of my favorite books and re-reads! Thank you so much for sharing a chapter of your life with us <3 We love us some Travis Maddox!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Omg! I always knew that Travis was Real!
    Thanks for sharing this story with us ♥

    ReplyDelete
  35. OMG! This is amazing! Travis is my book guy since I read your book <3 I just love him & you, hon!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your story just made me like your books even more :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. OMG, so this is amazing, I really love Travis, and knowing he is kind of real makes him more awesome. thans for sharing you story with us, my love for your books is really huge.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thank you for sharing something so personal with us. I love this series, the writing was phenomenal and the characters actually feel real. Well I guess they are real thank you for writing such amazing books!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Surprisingly my fiancées name is Travis Maddox

    ReplyDelete
  40. I re-read BD for the third time a few weeks ago, just because I missed Travis. There is one and only TRAVIS. ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete